Yorkies love to be cared for and pampered. There is no better way to treat your little puppy than the astute care of his coat. Yorkies are gifted with an endearing silky, flowing coat. With proper care, you can keep your pet’s coat in top shape and groom it in style. Learn the best ways for Yorkshire Terrier coat care while keeping your dog healthy, hearty, and happy.
Yorkshire Terrier Coat Care: Brushing Tips
- If your Yorkie’s coat is dry or has hot spots, moisturize it prior to Use conditioners or natural oils regularly to keep it smooth and silky unless your dog’s coat is oily. A conditioned coat remains strong and healthy and without any damage from tearing hair.
- Start brushing the Yorkshire Terrier coat on an area which is less sensitive. Shoulder or legs could be a good option to start. Ticklish feeling arising out of brushing may cause your pet to feel uncomfortable.
- Divide the coat into small sections while brushing and follow the root-to-tip approach. A pin brush without a covered back is the best choice for Yorkshire Terrier coat brushing. Metal or rubber heads may result in tangles, scratches, or even tear the coat of your Yorkie. Use a comb after the pin brush to completely brush the coat.
- Be careful while working out knots, which are common considering the long fur of these dogs. Look out for knots prior to brushing and use your finger to disentangle them. Limit brush use to stubborn knots. Better to clip the knot using scissors than to try to entangle them with a comb.
- Be gentle while combing your Yorkshire Terrier’s face and ears. Ensure he does not move, as it may harm the eyes.
Yorkshire Terrier Coat Care: Bathing Tips
- Don’t bathe your dog too frequently. The Yorkshire Terrier coat loses its natural moisture when bathed too often. This could be a reason in causing skin problems.
- Select a comfortable spot and position for bathing. Yorkies are known for their abhorrence of water. Unless comfortable, your Yorkie may react and try to slip out. This may lead to injury.
- Brush the Yorkshire Terrier coat effectively and clear all entangles before bathing. There are many branded shampoos exclusively available for Yorkies or dogs with similar coats. It is always better to get a tearless shampoo. Never use one made for humans, as it may cause irritation to Yorkies. Dog skin has a different pH balance.
- Wet your Yorkie completely before applying shampoo. Ensure that no water or shampoo gets into the eyes of your Yorkie. While applying shampoo to the head, start from the top and then follow the neckline. Make sure you apply adequate shampoo to the chest and belly. Rinse well after shampooing. Leaving residues may cause skin irritations. Use a good-quality conditioner and rinse the Yorkshire Terrier coat thoroughly.
- Check if there is fecal soiling around the tail area. Wash it properly. Clear eye rims with wet wipes.
- Never forget to dry and brush your pet after bathing. Rub a towel on its body to wipe out water prior to brushing. Follow up with combing once the water dries out completely. While combing, follow the natural hairline so that the hair do not stand up on the ears or tail.
- Be cautious while using a human dryer, which is stronger than a normal pet dryer. Combine blow drying with combing.
Yorkshire Terrier Coat Care: Trimming Tips
- Use only grooming scissors to trim the hair on the Yorkshire Terrier coat. This type of scissors is custom made for the purpose and its ends are designed to be safe for the dog skin. It also saves your dog hair from splitting or thinning out.
- Ensure your dog is comfortable positioned or held while trimming his hair. Start cutting the hair around the legs. Remember, hairs grow faster on legs than other body parts.
- Clipping your Yorkie’s hair feathering requires extreme care. You may follow many popular cuts cited on pet grooming guides. Be careful of ensuring balanced clipping, as unbalanced cuts may damp the look and feel of your Yorkie’s coat.
Do I Need Professional Grooming Support?
You can do regular grooming of your dog at home. However, you should have your Yorkie professionally groomed at least once a year. It helps to maintain the look of your dog and keep his coat clean.
If your Yorkshire Terrier is a show dog, he needs frequent expert grooming and trimming help. You may need professional grooming three to four times a year.